[FFmpeg-user] (no subject)

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sat Jul 7 13:00:14 CEST 2012

Anne at Picaflor Azul <info <at> picaflor-azul.com> writes:

>    This is my first time using an email list, so please let
> me know if I am doing anything wrong.

It is considered a bit rude not to use the subject line (and
makes following the mailing list harder), please use a subject
in the future.

> avconv -f x11grab -s hd1080 -r 30 -i 0:0 -acodec pcm_s16le
> -vcodec libx264 -preset ultrafast -crf 0 -threads 0 -f alsa
> -ac 2 -i pulse recording-filename.mkv

crf 0 is lossless iirc (or at least good quality) so if you see
a quality problem, encoding is probably not the reason.
I suspect you don't like the RGB->YUV420 colour conversion, you
can avoid it with x264 but the result will be unplayable with
anything not FFmpeg-based (QuickTime and WMP do not support
anything else than yuv420 for h264).

> avconv version 0.8.3-4:0.8.3-0ubuntu0.12.04.1

This is an intentionally broken version of ffmpeg, it contains
several hundred known regressions, some of them security
relevant, please understand that we can only support the versions
on http://ffmpeg.org/download.html (preferably current git head).