[FFmpeg-user] mpeg4 with 4:2:2 colorspace

Rhodri James rhodri at kynesim.co.uk
Wed Jul 4 19:35:36 CEST 2012

[Top-posting edited to restore the flow of conversation.]

On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 18:12:15 +0100, farzaneh tabataba
<f.s.tabataba81 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 8:09 PM, Michael Bradshaw <
> mbradshaw at sorensonmedia.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 9:12 AM, farzaneh tabataba
>> <f.s.tabataba81 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I am trying to encode an AVI file, via mpeg4 codec( with VBR qscale 1)
>> >
>> > My source file Chroma subsampling is: 4:2:2, while chroma subsampling
>> for
>> > the coded file is 4:2:0.
>> > How can I preserve the chroma subsampling ratio?   I want it remains
>> 4:2:2
>> > after compression.
>>
>> I think MPEG-4 Part 2 only supports YUV420.
>>
> Thanks michael, How can I become sure ?

You buy a copy of the ISO/IEC 14496-2:2004 standard, turn to page xiv of
the Introduction, and read the section headed "Chrominance formats".  Or
you could trust us :-)

In fact MPEG-4 Part 2 Studio Profiles do support 4:2:2 and 4:4:4, but I'm
not aware of any decoders that understand those profiles.

--
Rhodri James
Kynesim Ltd