[FFmpeg-user] Can H263+ be in .3gp container?

Zhang Weiwu zhangweiwu at realss.com
Tue Jan 31 03:05:09 CET 2012

于 2012年01月31日 08:40, Carl Eugen Hoyos 写道:
> That would be the exact opposite of what the OP claims is the case.
> http://www.mp4ra.org/codecs.html does not mention H263+ afaict.

I could find use of other codecs that can encode 320x240 video in 3gp as
well. The knowledge from Markus is thus very helpful. Since I am coding
for Android, here is my study note for a final review, correct me if I
am wrong:

Video codec support chart

                          .3gp   .mp4   | ffmpeg-0.9 | Android
                           Registered   | can encode | supports
---------------------------------------+------------+----------
MPEG-4 Part 10 (H.264)    Yes    Yes   | No         | Yes
MPEG-4 Part 2             Yes    Yes   | Yes        | Yes*
H.263                     Yes    Yes   | Yes        | Yes
H.263+                    No     Yes   | Yes        | No**
MPEG-2                    No     Yes   | Yes        | No
MPEG-1 Part               No     Yes   | Yes        | No

*  Android can only playback MPEG-4 Part 2 when it is in SimpleProfile and
    in .3gp container. All Android support data is copied from
    http://developer.android.com/guide/appendix/media-formats.html
** Not mentioned in the supported codec list, but worth to test.

I hope this chart is useful for others too.

Zhang Weiwu