[FFmpeg-user] Best lossless

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Tue Jan 31 01:44:01 CET 2012

Deron <deron <at> pagestream.org> writes:

> What is the best lossless encoding method ffmpeg supports for
> 720p/59.94fps? By best, I mean fewest problems playing and highest
> compression ratio. (I know, that is still hard to measure). Someone
> mentioned jpeg2000 to me (lossless mode of course), but I see little
> mention of it anywhere (not just within ffmpeg).

As others explained, it really only depends on what you want to do.
(And are you sure you are searching a lossless codec? If the material you want
to encode is not rawvideo, leaving it as it is is usually the best method.)

libopenjpeg is incredibly slow, so it is unlikely that it could be your first
choice, on this list, you will certainly be recommended ffv1, but I assume you
knew that in advance;-)