[FFmpeg-user] Please can someone tell me why this ffmpeg command stopped working

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Jan 28 17:49:42 CET 2012

Am 28.01.2012 17:33, schrieb Paul Gardiner:
> On 28/01/2012 16:24, Paul Gardiner wrote:

>>> "-f ac3 -ar 48000 -i"
>>>
>>> why is "-ar" BEFORE the input file?
>>> in this case you set the parameter for the input instead the output
>>
>> My thinking was that the input was 48kHz and I needed to tell ffmpeg
>> that information about the input. I guess that's showing my
>> misunderstanding about how it works.

i would say ffmpeg is knowing more about the input file as you and i will
ever be able and there may be only very few cases where it needs help

the output should specifuied so exactly as possible if you nedd videos
palying in iPhone as example to make sure they are H264 BASELINE but
not the input (use the ffmpeg output to see what is really is *gg*)

>> Off to try the alteration now.
>
> Brilliant! It worked. I am again able to transcode my TV recordings.
> I guess I should also move the "-r 25" from before the second input-file argument. Is that right?

it is quite simple, all parameters before any file are taken as
params for exactly this one