[FFmpeg-user] data codecs

Dave Rice daverice at mac.com
Thu Jan 26 23:12:17 CET 2012

Hi all,
I'm trying to patch ffmpeg to allow for recognition and copying of SMPTE 436 VBI data tracks from one MXF file to another. I detailed my objectives earlier here: http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.user/34796. From Tomas' advice I need to add the codec for smpte436m, add the codec UL in the mxf demuxer, and adjust the demuxer and muxer to handle to copying.

In getting started I noticed that although data is defined as a codec type that there aren't actually any data codecs defined. Additionally things that seem like data codecs, such as bintext, are defined as video codecs. Should I similarly consider smpte436m to be a video codec or start it as a data codec?

Best Regards,
Dave Rice