[FFmpeg-user] sound recording input selection and mix

pop rjwse at aol.com
Sun Jan 22 15:50:03 CET 2012

On 01/21/2012 07:13 AM, dE . wrote:
> On 01/17/12 20:21, pop wrote:
>> I would like to assign a pair of Ubuntu "HotKey" commands in the
>> terminal to switch between sound sources (1) microphone and (2)
>> monitor for recording screencasts.  Right now, while recording with
>> microphone I must open  "Sound Preferences/input/" window, then
>> reassign from "Logitech USB Headset Analog Stereo" to "Internal Audio
>> Analog Stereo" in order to record a playing video's audio.  This is
>> an Either/Or kind of sound recording.  Ideally, I would like to "mix"
>> monitor audio with microphone audio.  I have tried using the Loopback
>> feature, but that does not allow adjusting sound levels of microphone
>> versus monitor audio on the fly.    I am making YouTube FFMPEG
>> tutorials "Ubuntu Basics rjwse"
>> Thanks, in advance.  Pop
Yes, I am. I tried using the following 2 commands:

pacmd set-default-source
alsa_input.usb-Logitech_Logitech_USB_Headset-00-Headset.analog-stereo

pacmd set-default-source alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo

These 2 commands do work to switch back and forth in Sound preferences
between input devices, but I think I need another pair of commands which
choose between Monitor (the sound of a playing video) and the
microphone.  Ideally, it would be nice to have a hot key assignment.  I
can do that, but do not know the internal commands.