[FFmpeg-user] on demand streaming

Mike Carambat mcaramb at rocketmail.com
Fri Jan 20 16:56:01 CET 2012

what would the best practice be to provide an on-demand live stream from ffmpeg/ffserver?

My cam live feed is on machine #1, ffserver is at a datafarm on machine #2.

Right now, I am using ffmpeg on machine #2 to stream the machine #1's livefeed to ffserver (mjpeg) on machine #2. However, it's running all the time to the tmp/feed.ffm file, regardless if anyone is viewing the stream at ffserver, tying up bandwidth.

How can I make it so the ffmpeg stream isn't active unless someone is requesting the feed from ffserver?

I had thought about invoking the ffmpeg command when the video request URL is made, but how do I shut it off when they are done viewing? Is a timeout value in ffmpeg my only solution?

Thanks,

Mike