[FFmpeg-user] -f mkv?

Rodney Baker rodney.baker at iinet.net.au
Thu Jan 19 04:09:49 CET 2012

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 03:31:51 Tom Evans wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 11:25 AM, dE . <de.techno at gmail.com> wrote:
> > ffmpeg does support matroska right?
> >
> > But why is it not listed in ffmpeg -formats? I mean I cant use -f mkv, it
> > says unrecognized format.
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> mkv is the file extension commonly used by files in the 'matroska' format.
>
> Cheers
>
> Tom

Right. Matroska is the container format and mkv is the extension, not the
video format. Matroska containers can contain video in a number of different
formats e.g. mpeg4, h264, avi etc. The -f switch specifies the video stream
format, not the container format. The container format is determined
automatically from the file extension.

At least I think that's how it works... ;-)

Rodney Baker VK5ZTV
rodney.baker at iinet.net.au