[FFmpeg-user] keeping subtitles while transcoding

graylion graylion at sm-wg.net
Wed Jan 18 18:46:39 CET 2012

Hiya

I have googled high and low and am not finding this:

I have a file with h264 video and audio and subtitles. I want to transcode
the h264 into mp4 while keeping the rest intact.

my commandline looks like this:

ffmpeg -i Seven.Samurai.1954.MULTiSUBS.1080p.BluRay.x264-HDZ.mkv  -vcodec
mpeg4 -pass 1 -threads 2 -b:v 10000000 -scodec copy -an -f mp4 -y /dev/null

this leads to

Stream mapping:
  Stream #0.0 -> #0.0 (h264 -> mpeg4)
  Stream #0.2 -> #0.1 (copy)
Could not write header for output file #0 (incorrect codec parameters ?)

which also are the wrong streams, since i want to map 0.3 which are the
English subtitles. also i am entirely unclear as to how I would go about
mapping a second pass.

Any help appreciated.