[FFmpeg-user] Lossless x264

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 16 12:34:53 CET 2012

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:
> Please understand that it does not make sense at all to compare "close to
> lossless" with "lossless" (one is lossless, one is not).
>
> I suspect what you actually are interested in is constant quantizer.

As I understand it, if you want high quality, but don't mind too much
about the bitrate, you should be adjusting the crf you pass to x264,
and use a *fast preset:

ffmpeg -i input -c:v libx264 -preset:v superfast -x264opts crf=18

A lower crf implies a higher quality, a slower preset implies more
compression. For true lossless, you need to set crf=0.

Cheers

Tom