[FFmpeg-user] Grabbing video through the webcam

Cecil Westerhof Cecil at decebal.nl
Sat Jan 14 22:52:10 CET 2012

Op zaterdag 14 jan 2012 21:54 CET schreef Carl Eugen Hoyos:

>> ffmpeg -y -f oss -i /dev/dsp

>> -acodec libmp3lame -ar 8000 -ab 16k out.avi
>
> The audio bitrate is very low, and are you intentionally reducing the audio
> quality significantly with -ar 8000?

No not really. I copied this from something I have done before. It
sounds good enough to me. (But maybe I am easily satisfied.) It is
only speech, no music or anything else. And it is mono. What would be
more sane values?

By the way, I bought several microphones. (Not very expensive ones.)
Until now the best audio quality I got was with a headphone. (But this
looks a little bit silly on a video.) But with now using ffmpeg to
record the video instead of wxcam, I do not need a microphone (on the
Compaq, on the Aspire netbook I do not have satisfying audio with or
without microphone). I should upgrade the netbook to the same OS
version as the Compaq. If it is then still not satisfactory, I should
try fiddling the audio options. Shows how good ffmpeg is. ;-}

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer