[FFmpeg-user] Possible feature additions for concatenating video files

Stefano Sabatini stefasab at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 12:04:18 CET 2012

On date Wednesday 2012-01-04 15:58:01 -0500, dg1727 at hushmail.com encoded:
> I then thought of the following proposed feature:
[...]
> B.  A feature (maybe in ffprobe?) which reports the total number of
> I-frames, P-frames, and B-frames in a given video stream (any
> format, not just H.264).  This way, if the file has no B-frames, I
> can happily use tools on it that warn me that B-frames may cause
> problems.

Patch posted on ffmpeg-devel, feature was existing in the unmaintained
SourceForge ffprobe version since its inception.

And you can find a field named "has_b_frames" in the video stream
output which may help.

> Do proposed features A and B already exist?  If not, should I make
> tickets in Trac to request that these features be added to FFmpeg?

This is usually a good idea.
--
ffmpeg-user random tip #7
If you're asking about problems with an FFmpeg tool, *always* post the