[FFmpeg-user] fast video codec for screen casting

dE . de.techno at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 23:24:34 CET 2012

On 01/05/12 08:12, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:

> dE .<de.techno<at>   gmail.com>   writes:
>
>>> ffmpeg -f x11grab -s 1280x800 -i :0.0 -f null -
>> 30 FPS
> I get approximately the same performance with -vcodec mpeg1video, isn't that
> also true for you?
>
> [...]
No. I tend to think this's cause of bad ati drivers, X takes too much
CPU cause drivers are incapable of offloading load to the GPU.

I've another PC with a Nvidia GPU and a single core processor. Using
x264, I get 24 FPS easily.

>> I also tried ffmpeg -f x11grab -s 1280x800 -i :0.0 -f null -qscale 2
>> -threads 1 -b 20000k -vcodec mpeg1video -an out.avi
> (-b makes no sense with -qscale)
> That is great.
>
> If you provide us with output / results (or say if the problem still exists with
> this command line), somebody may be able to help you.

The mailing list appears to have rejected my attachment (output video). Is there any video codec which's lighter
than mpeg1? Also I recompiled ffmpeg, and this time I got 18 - 19 FPS
using mpeg1. But still x264 remains one of the fastest (targa is also fast).