[FFmpeg-user] When encoding mp3 at low bitrate FFmpeg gives error report.

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 27 17:28:01 CET 2012

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 4:15 PM, bat guano <batguano999 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
> Bump again.
>
> Is there an explanation, or is it just something we have to live with?
>
> Original question was:-

> When encoding to mp3 at low bitrate FFmpeg gives a (red) error report.
> [mp3 @ 0x9777d40] Unsupported sample rate.

ffmpeg emits this error when it tries to write the xing header at the
start of the MP3 file. The sample rate 22050 is not part of the MPEG-1
audio layer III spec (but is part of the MPEG-2 audio layer III spec).
ffmpeg is only trying to write a MPEG-1 spec header, so it fails, and
you see the error message.

However, failing to write the header is not considered fatal, so it continues.

Cheers

Tom