[FFmpeg-user] mux latency

rnbguy mina.moussa at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 22 02:26:17 CET 2012

Hi All,

Happy to be part of this forum.

I'm currently using ffmpeg to capture screen input (and in future alsa
input) and stream via rtsp (or udp). I have spent most of my time learning
about the codec side of things and not really an expert on mux'ing.

I'm trying to get pretty much sub-second latency, and have tuned the codec
settings but I believe mux is causing alot of delay.

My questions are:
a) where is a good place to understand, not just mux but mux when it comes
to streaming
b) do I need to mux if there will be only one audio and one video source?
c) MAIN QUESTION - has anyone been able to achieve sub-second latencies with
muxing or am I wasting my time?

If I can provide more info let me know.