[FFmpeg-user] how to "play" uncompressed video across an network?

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Tue Feb 21 22:42:37 CET 2012

Donald McLachlan <Donald.McLachlan <at> crc.ca> writes:

> - Our disks etc are fast enough that we can play uncompressed 4k video
> from the disk on the local host to the display on the local host.

Just to make sure you know:
There are many codecs that offer better quality than J2k and need less
computation power for decoding.

> - Our goal is to read an uncompressed 4k video from the disk on
> host A, send the data across a 10 Gbps network, and to play it on
> the display on host B.

(I have no idea if the network is fast enough.)

> My questions are:
>
> - Is there a container (preferably one supported by mplayer)
> that one can put uncompressed video and audio into?

avi supports some uncompressed formats, the remaining ones can
be encoded into nut, if MPlayer fails for a video that is
supported with FFmpeg, please report on mplayer-users.