[FFmpeg-user] max_analyze_duration 5000000 reached at 5000000

John Dexter jdxsolutions at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 11:56:55 CET 2012

On 17 February 2012 21:41, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:
> John Dexter <jdxsolutions <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I feel this must be a really obvious question but after
>> searching online I find many mentions but no explanation:
>>
>> a)what exactly this message means
>
> That 5000000 bytes were used to compute the overall duration,
> and this was >= the maximum size for computing the overall
> duration, either specified by you or the default (which
> is 5000000).

I'm struggling to see, in my use-case, why it needs all that data to
compute the duration. My video input source is a bunch of image files:

>ffmpeg.exe -r 10 -i %06d.jpg -vcodec libx264 h264.avi

So isn't duration simply num_input_frames / input_frame_rate... and
the number of input frames is just the number of .jpg files to
process?

Is there an easy way to predict what value of -analyzeduration is
necessary to avoiding hitting the limit, based on my input? I haven't
noticed any issues in my output videos but would prefer not to be
getting warnings at all.

Thanks for the help Carl,

John.