[FFmpeg-user] web videos with flv

Maurice Randall maurice at cmdrkey.com
Fri Feb 17 17:26:04 CET 2012

> From: "Reindl Harald"
> FLV is crap
> use H264 baseline
> flash supports it and HTML5 supports it on iphone/ipod with
> HTML5-<video>

FLV is just the container. H264 contained within an FLV file is
the same as H264 contained within any other container.

Flash supports it? Right, Flash supports FLV with H264. You can
get very high quality in an FLV format file. It all depends on
how you encode it.

> From: "Fernanda Rebelatto"
> Testing multiple extensions, I noted that the codec flv resulted in a
> higher video.
> Does anyone have a tip for me?

> ffmpeg -y -sameq -i video.avi -ar 44100 -f flv avi.flv

Try something like this:

ffmpeg -i video.avi -vcodec libx264 -preset fast -profile baseline -x264opts bitrate=300 -s 320x240 -r 12 -g 12 -f flv testvideo.flv

Of course, you will have to also add the audio codec setting into that command line.
Once you get this working, you can then play with different settings to get what you
would like. If you are using FFMPEG .9 or .10, you will also have to adjust some of
the syntax used. But either way, it is the settings for libx264 that you want to
focus on. That would be the preset and profile settings as well as the bitrate.

-Maurice