[FFmpeg-user] How can I join video files?

Andrey Utkin andrey.krieger.utkin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 12:15:19 CET 2012

2012/2/16 Peter B. <pb at das-werkstatt.com>:
> But would it be possible to integrate it into FFmpeg at all, or would it be
> necessary to implement this in an external application, using libavformat's
> API?

I'm not sure if ffmpeg util functionality should be expanded for this use case.
Introducing it will complicate this (already complicated) application.
And, anyway, what will take place is converting to h264 Annex B
flavour, and concatenating like concat: proto will do.
So this "functionality", if included into ffmpeg utility, IMO is not
more than sugarization of already mentioned sequence of actions.

>> There is a vague project of concat filters in lavfi, but it would only
>> work
>> with decoded audio and video.
>

> You mean it couldn't copy the A/V data, but it would have to re-encode it?

It was meant about some implementation of concatenation at filters level.

Using recipe mentioned above, if you have video in h264, you mustn't
re-encode it.

--
Andrey Utkin