[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg user list rules

Lou lou at lrcd.com
Wed Feb 15 01:00:06 CET 2012

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 13:33:36 -0900
Lou <lou at lrcd.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 22:03:54 +0100
> Boštjan Strojan <bostjan.strojan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Since I'am being reminded to follow some simple rules in my latest
> > attempts on posting at this list..., is there a command/url/wiki site
> > or some other generic mailing list type of rules that should i read
> > and follow?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > b.
>
> There is some info here http://ffmpeg.org/contact.html and although it
> is verbose it does not address all suggested practices for the mailing
> list.
>
> A re-write of that page is probably in order to be more clear. I may
> work on that sometime this week.

Ok, so I lied and now it's mid February. Here's a list of suggestions /
rules.

Mailing list specific rules:
* Avoid top-posting. Interleaved replying is standard etiquette.

* Do not hijack threads (replying to a thread and changing the subject
  line to something completely unrelated that was not being discussed
  within the original thread).

* Configure your mail client to break lines after 70-80 characters.

How to provide the right information:
* Use recent ffmpeg from Git or a supported version of ffmpeg (see
  download page) if possible.

* Show your ffmpeg command and the complete, uncut console output
  of your command.

* If you attach files avoid compressing small files; uncompressed is
  preferred.

* Use minimal commands to help narrow down what is causing the issue.
  Exclude filters and external encoders (usually anything lib*, such as
  libx264) if possible.

* Provide a link to samples if applicable (see datafilehost.com or
  mediafire.com if you need a file service).

* Avoid posting command lines that use shell variables. We need
  commands that allow anyone to easily duplicate your issue.

Additions? Questions? Comments?