[FFmpeg-user] [Windows] Running ffmpeg.exe programatically - possible to monitor progress?

Alexander Bokovikov openworld at uralweb.ru
Fri Feb 10 15:15:25 CET 2012

On 10.02.2012, at 18:45, John Dexter wrote:

> Thanks Mark & Alex. More specifically to ffmpeg, I was more wondering
> what to _look for_ in the console output, and if there are cmd-line
> arguments I should look up which can make the output more easily
> computer-readable? The default output I'm getting is not too friendly
> in this regard.

As for me, I'm parsing the ffmpeg output to get the progress value
from the current time and the total duration. You can also obtain
average fps (processing speed of your app) to show it in the real
time, as progress bar goes ahead.

> Mark: with your approach (which is the general idea I had in mind), I
> noted ffmpeg.exe doesn't just write new lines but seems to update the
> same console line as it is progressing.

It means that LF code is absent. Each line is terminated by CR. Parse
lines by CR (0x0D) and nothing more.

> Does that come through to
> stderr as normal each time the line changes?

It has no relation to the stderr/stdout. It's defined by printf()
format.
And you can join stderr and astdout pipes at their receiving ends and
forget about the problem of what output to analyze.

HTH!