[FFmpeg-user] crf mode in libvpx

James Darnley james.darnley at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 00:20:52 CET 2012

On 2012-02-03 09:09, Boštjan Strojan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> a. Playing around with freshly compiled ffmpeg + libvpx, but can't
> seem to figure out what would be the valid "quality based" encoding
> switch for libvpx? (crf/cq mode or however that is called)
> b. Is internal vorbis encoder usefull? (If yes, same question - how to
> enable quality based encoding?)
>
> Basically I need a valid cli example (additional plus if it makes a
> good default) :)

In all your subsequent discussion I haven't seen that you actually tried
the option mentioned in the title of this thread, namely crf.  Why not?
 If I read the source correctly, it looks like it should be a straight
map to the cq-level option of vpxenc (or what ever its name is).

You used --cq-level 20 in your latest email.  Have you tried -crf 20
with ffmpeg?