[FFmpeg-user] Choosing between experimental libavcodec aac or faac encoders

Liran Zvibel liranz at audish.com
Wed Feb 1 12:33:23 CET 2012

On 1 Feb 2012, at 12:30, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:

>> Around the 0.7-0.8 releases of ffmpeg (up until 0.8.4, I think) I had
>> several occasions that on my random tests ffmpeg with libavcodec would get
>> stuck (which for my automated and batch jobs is even worse than a crash).
>
> Did you report those problems?

I did not file a bug report.
I can try to recreate that environment, but it's not going to be easy.

My question is about the current state, though, of 0.10 -- Which AAC codec people use? The libfaac or the "experimental" libavcodec.

AFAIK, AAC is the current "mainstream" acodec on the internet, and I would like to understand what the recommended coded is.
If I did not have to add "-strict -experimental" I would pick the ffmpeg implementation, and this is the reason I'm asking.

Regards,
Liran.