[FFmpeg-user] Encode video to play on older DVD player?

Andy Furniss andyqos at ukfsn.org
Wed Dec 26 16:00:17 CET 2012

Phil Turmel wrote:
> On 12/26/2012 08:59 AM, . wrote:
>> I made several home movies and made a dvd of them using DVDStyler (to
>> include all of the fancy menus and such). The DVDs play perfectly on my
>> home DVD player(s) (no matter how old the player is) but when I try to
>> play the same DVDs on the player in the car I get; "Disk Error" message.
>> Of course any DVD that has been commercially made plays perfectly in the
>> car's player.
>
> You might want to take a closer look at the specifications for your
> car's player.  I've seen older players that didn't support burned media
> at all, and some that only supported certain types.
>
> If you can't find the specs, you could try switching from DVD+R to DVD-R
> or vice-versa.  Anyways, it's probably not ffmpeg's problem.  Good luck.

There's a program called dvd+rw-booktype which can help with older
players by making burned discs look like "normal" dvds.

dvd+rw-booktype -dvd-rom -unit+r /dev/XXX

before burning a disc should do it, of course I have no clue if this is
the problem or if there is something else the old player doesn't like.