[FFmpeg-user] When to determine frames are progressive or interlaced ?

tank pranav akshar_tank at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 19 11:27:37 CET 2012

Hello,

I would like to know when to determine frames are progressive or interlaced ?

Can it be known only through the parameter "progressive sequence" which exist in "sequence extension" ?or some other fields are also need to be validated (such as top field first, progressive frames, repeat first field , etc ..... )
or  [ is this correct that in progressive frames , there always be parameter "top field first = 0 and progressive frames = 0 and repeate first field = 0) while in interlaced frames , all above 3 parameters will contains some values ) ???

if progressive sequence is 0 then its progressive frames.
if progressive sequence is 1 then its its interlaced frames.

I have another question also regarding interlaced frames.

IF there are two frames A and B.

I agree if frames are interlaced then either (odd/even)  part of frame A can be part of frame B. But can it be case in which some color portion of frame B can remain present in frame A ?  (where progressive sequence is 0 and "top field first = 1).