[FFmpeg-user] Capturing raw video and honoring timestamps

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sun Dec 9 10:40:49 CET 2012

Joseph Rosensweig <jrosensw <at> gmail.com> writes:

> $ ffmpeg -f rawvideo -pix_fmt yuv420p -s 1280x720 -y
> -an -r 30 -i pipe:0 -vcodec libx264 -vpre libx264-lossless_fast
> -r 30 -g 30 /tmp/AV_REC_TEST_Cb3f5d6cc1.mp4

(Completely unrelated to your issue:
-an is unneeded if your input is rawvideo, the default output
frame rate is the input frame rate, so the second "-r 30" is
superfluous.)

> FFmpeg version git-2d162e3

(Unrelated in this case, but before you continue testing)
This looks old.

[...]

> Frame 1 -- 0ms
> Frame 2 -- 33 ms
> Frame 3 -- 99 ms
> Frame 4 -- 132 ms
> Frame 5 -- 330 ms

I don't think it is possible to provide vfr rawvideo input.
(I do not understand how this would be supposed to
work with any application.)

(Also possible unrelated)
Note that FFmpeg's mp4 muxer does not support vfr output.