[FFmpeg-user] Working with .YUV files

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Thu Aug 16 00:58:05 CEST 2012

fb <fatemeh.bagherpour <at> gmail.com> writes:

> >Afair, it is commonly agreed here that this produces bad quality,
> >and it is unclear if it has any performance advantage on
> >real-world hardware.
>
> - What produces bad quality?

(You cut too much.)
Passing "the output to my CUDA based code to encode it using GPU"
is assumed to produce worse quality than using x264.

> using ffmpeg as "Hardware accelerated decoder"
> and another module as "Hardware accelerated encoder"?

> - What do you mean by real world hardware? I want to use "GPU".

I would expect a modern CPU to encode as fast as a GPU.

> -What's your recommendation for speeding up ffmpeg encoding?

FFmpeg does not encode h264, x264 has many options that allow
to choose a trade-off between speed and quality.