[FFmpeg-user] ffprobe documentation seems mixed up with ffmpeg docs

Stefano Sabatini stefasab at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 15:00:56 CEST 2012

On date Tuesday 2012-08-14 14:43:02 +0200, Nicolas George encoded:
> L'octidi 28 thermidor, an CCXX, Stefano Sabatini a écrit :
> > Some parts should be moved to ffmpeg.texi (for example Codec options only
> > apply to ffmpeg, same for stream specifiers).
>
> What about completely splitting the man pages?
>
> man ffmpeg    -> directly ffmpeg-related options
> man ffplay    -> directly ffplay-related options
> man ffprobe   -> directly ffprobe-related options
> man ffserver  -> directly ffserver-related options and config file syntax
> man ffcodecs  -> all codecs options
> man ffformats -> all formats options
> man fffilters -> all filters docs
> man ffmisc    -> syntax conventions, etc.

That was my first proposal and was rejected:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.devel/108669

> That is what zsh does, and I always found this very practical: when I am
> looking for a way to convert the contents of a variable to uppercase, I do
> not want to find keystrokes to convert a word in the edited command to
> uppercase, several dozens of pages later.

Alternatively we may support both styles
(--enable-monolithic-manpages) but I don't know how much harder would
be to support both styles.

Anyway in both cases we need to move ffmpeg-specific docs in
ffmpeg.texi.
--
ffmpeg-user random tip #31
Show info about all the frames present in a file: