[FFmpeg-user] ffprobe documentation seems mixed up with ffmpeg docs

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Tue Aug 14 14:43:02 CEST 2012

L'octidi 28 thermidor, an CCXX, Stefano Sabatini a écrit :
> Some parts should be moved to ffmpeg.texi (for example Codec options only
> apply to ffmpeg, same for stream specifiers).

What about completely splitting the man pages?

man ffmpeg    -> directly ffmpeg-related options
man ffplay    -> directly ffplay-related options
man ffprobe   -> directly ffprobe-related options
man ffserver  -> directly ffserver-related options and config file syntax
man ffcodecs  -> all codecs options
man ffformats -> all formats options
man fffilters -> all filters docs
man ffmisc    -> syntax conventions, etc.

That is what zsh does, and I always found this very practical: when I am
looking for a way to convert the contents of a variable to uppercase, I do
not want to find keystrokes to convert a word in the edited command to
uppercase, several dozens of pages later.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George