[FFmpeg-user] Frame padding

Holger Hummel | Celluloid VFX holger at celluloid-vfx.com
Mon Aug 13 21:40:17 CEST 2012

Jacob Harris wrote:
> We view all of our image sequences and movies in either Nuke or RV. Both of
> these apps can use %04d for reading images--be it 1-100 or 1001-1100.
> FFmpeg, however, needs two different paddings for those two ranges: %04d
> and 1%03d, respectively. This leaves me needing to do a switch based on the
> input frame length.
>
> In pseudo-code:
>
>     outputFrames = '%04d'
>     if max(inputFrames) > 999:
>         outputFrames = '1%03d'
>
> Of course, if I have 900-1001, I'm screwed :)

silly question: can't you tell your comp/render/whatever app(s) tell to
fill the padding?
the ones i know do that by default, as far as i know. maybe there's a
way to tell yours to do the same?
also using ffmpeg here and never had that kind of issue.
having another issue, thoug: ffempeg doesn't handle image sequence
starting at frame numbers >1.
so i need to work around that in our code. from your example it seems as
this is working in your environment.
just curious...

-Holger

Holger Hummel  -  holger at celluloid-vfx.com

Celluloid Visual Effects, Paul-Lincke-Ufer 39/40, 10999 Berlin
phone +49 (0)30 / 54 735 220  -  mail at celluloid-vfx.com