[FFmpeg-user] ffprobe documentation seems mixed up with ffmpeg docs

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Wed Aug 8 01:16:39 CEST 2012

On 08/07/2012 11:32 PM, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> On date Monday 2012-07-30 16:25:29 +0200, Peter B. encoded:
>> I just wanted to consult the ffprobe documentation [1] and it seems
>> to be mixed up with parts which actually apply to transcoding using
>> ffmpeg, rather than what ffprobe does.
>>
>> e.g. The example mentioned in the section "Options > AVOptions"
>> shows using "ffmpeg" for transcoding flac to mp3.
>>
>> Other parts of that documentation also seem to actually apply to
>> ffmpeg rather than ffprobe.
> Yes that part of the documentation is not very well thought (the
> author apparently confused ffmpeg/avconv docs with generic
> tools documentation).
I've just checked the .texi source and I think the problem is caused a
number of @includes:

@include syntax.texi
@include decoders.texi
@include demuxers.texi
@include protocols.texi
@include indevs.texi

they just point to ffmpeg's documentation files. Therefore the
misleading/confusing syntax parts in the ffprobe docs.
What about just removing those includes, as they don't make any sense
anyway here.

>> How is this text edited? If it's somewhere in the repositories,
>> could someone (for example: me) propose patches?
> Yes download FFmpeg source code and check in the doc/ directory,
> source files are texi (texinfo) files converted to POD/HTML/man pages,
> website documentation is in synch with the latest FFmpeg git version.
How would I proceed if I wanted to provide you a patch from my changes?

Thanks,
Pb