[FFmpeg-user] FFmpeg built with LGPL and GPL license -- the difference ???

Lou lou at lrcd.com
Fri Apr 27 03:51:28 CEST 2012

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 14:06:18 -0400
"Shen, Ling (SCR US)" <ling.shen at siemens.com> wrote:

> Hi, everyone:
>
> We are using Ffmpeg library to build up video panel application in small device
> Environment. I have the following license options to build up Ffmpeg library:
>
> With or without "-enable-gpl";
>
> According to the introduction from FFMPEG<http://ffmpeg.org/legal.html>, with GPL license, Ffmpeg has
> incorporated several optional parts and optimizations.
>
> Does anyone know what those parts are and what changes on the optimizations?
>
> One of the method to get the answer is from source codes, but I would like
> to know from your side. If you happen to know any pieces of answers, would
> you share those with me.

--enable-gpl is required by several filters, libpostproc, and libraries
such as libcdio, libutvideo, libx264, libxavs, libxvid, and x11grab.
(You should double-check my list to be certain and I'm probably
missing something).

See the source of configure to see what filters require gpl. Example:
blackframe_filter_deps="gpl"