[FFmpeg-user] theora question

Rick C. rickcorteza at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 02:49:07 CEST 2012

On Apr 25, 2012, at 1:50 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:

> Rick C. <rickcorteza <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Apr 24, 2012, at 2:08 PM, Tom Sparks wrote:
>>
>>> use the true ffmpeg2theora transcoder
>
>> Actually I made a quick trial using this
>> and I didn't see a significant difference in speed?
>
> Not very surprising given that ffmpeg2theora is using libtheora
> and FFmpeg.
>
>> The same example I used previously which was getting
>> only 40fps was about the same with ffmpeg2theora.
>
>> Quality was a bit better though.
>
> That is indeed surprising.
>
>> In general does theora just not take advantage of multithreading?
>
> Are you sure theora is the right choice for encoding?
> There should be better and faster codecs for every use case.
>
> Carl Eugen

Regarding the quality I didn't mean to say that ffmpeg couldn't match the quality of ffmpeg2theora with the correct settings, just the settings that I used for my trials which was only -qscale 10.  I left ffmpeg2theora on the default setting which I read was 6 if I'm not mistaken.  Anyways, regardless of adjustments I had roughly the same speed everytime that's what I meant when I said I didn't see any significant changes.

Yes this (theora) wouldn't be something I would want to use everyday, I was just doing some testing and noticed that it's quite slow no matter what I did and I came here to make sure it wasn't something wrong I was doing. :-)  So seems it's not me but the nature of the codec.  I appreciate the help everyone.

rc