[FFmpeg-user] Preserve pix_fmt, regardless of codec?

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Wed Apr 25 20:33:27 CEST 2012

On 04/25/2012 06:11 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Given that all colour_spaces are not supported by some encoders, most
> colour_spaces are not supported by nearly all encoders, and some
> colour_spaces (iirc) are only supported by raw_video (if at all): How
> should that work from a user's perspective?
I know, I know...
Of course, the colorspace would have to be supported by the target
codec, too.
I didn't mean "everything to everything", but just: preserve if possible.
(Mencoder for example, often tends to default to yuv420p. As you have
already pointed out in previous posts, mencoder is not really
maintained... Unfortunately)

> (And apart from that: Isn't above exactly what FFmpeg currently tries
> very hard to do?)
That's my reason for posting this question here.

In most cases I'm not a big fan of "smart software", which "tries" to do
what it thinks is best (for me)... ;)

If there'd be a way of telling ffmpeg "please keep the colorspace, and
bail out if it's not possible", I could exclude the possibility that it
made the wrong decision.

Just wanted to know if it might be possible somehow. :)

Thanks,
Pb