[FFmpeg-user] What is the transcoding unit for FFMPEG?

Atish Kathpal atish.kathpal at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 07:26:43 CEST 2011

Hi friends

What is the transcoding unit for FFMEG? Is it a file or can we transcode a
single file as user defined chunks of equal/variable size?

Eg: Given a video- Austral.mpeg (10mins). Can I divide it into 10 chunks of
1 min each while transcoding, such that each 1min chunk is accessible once
transcoding for it is over?

Pardon me if this doubt has already been addressed, please point me to the
link/mail-thread where I could get information on the same.

Best regards
Atish