[FFmpeg-user] Dies without message when streaming

k b bernicesurprise at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 05:25:34 CEST 2011

Hi 8)
I'm trying to set up live webcam streaming with ffmpeg and ffserver, but not
having much luck. I can save to a file no problem, but if I try to send the
output to ffserver, ffmpeg just stops, with no indication of why. It gets as
far as:

> Press [q] to stop encoding

But then immediately drops back to the command prompt. It's noticed by
ffserver, which outputs:

> [POST] "/feed1.ffm HTTP/1.1" 200 1280

So this works:
ffmpeg -f video4linux2 -i /dev/video0 -t 00:00:30 -r 3 -s 160x128 -vcodec
mpeg4 -f avi -an /home/user/temp/test.avi

But this doesn't:
ffmpeg -f video4linux2 -i /dev/video0 -t 00:00:30 -r 3 -s 160x128 -vcodec
mpeg4 -f avi -an http://localhost:8090/feed1.ffm

The relevant section of ffserver.conf is:

<Stream test1.avi>
Feed feed1.ffm
Format avi
AudioBitRate 32
AudioChannels 1
AudioSampleRate 44100
VideoBitRate 64
VideoBufferSize 40
VideoFrameRate 3
VideoSize 160x128
VideoGopSize 12
VideoCodec mpeg4
NoAudio
Preroll 10
</Stream>

Any ideas? At this stage I'm not fussy about format; I'd be happy to get
_any_ kind of video output into ffserver, from any source (I've tried an
existing video file instead of the webcam, no difference). Running on Ubuntu
11.04.

bs