[FFmpeg-user] High Quality Single Pass Encodes

belcampo belcampo at zonnet.nl
Sat Sep 3 18:50:02 CEST 2011

On 09/02/2011 09:03 PM, Bryan Murphy wrote:
> Our encodes are targeted for streaming to various devices, so we've
> traditionally relied very heavily on fixed bitrates and two pass.  For
> one customer, I'm seriously considering switching to one-pass encodes
> and using a variable bitrate.
>
> My problem is that when I've tried one-pass encodes in the past, scene
> changes in particular come out poorly.
>
> What settings should I be focusing on to smooth out scene changes,
> high motion sequences, and make single pass encodes in general look as
> good as we can get them?
>
> Our primary target is a 1280x720 1.5mbps h264 baseline encoded video.
> Anything we can do to speed up this transcode without significantly
> effecting video quality would be very helpful.
"Our primary target is a 1280x720 1.5mbps h264 baseline"
This is enough bitrate for 'talking heads', but definitely not for
content with a lot of activity.
The crf parameter is for quality, and it will take the bits it needs for
that quality, talking heads probably =< 1.5Mb/s and > 3.5Mb/s for lots
of activity and/or grainy source material.

The target 'you set' is an more or less impossible one. Baseline needs
more bits then HighLevel, but the playing device needs more
'horse-power' to decode.