[FFmpeg-user] High Quality Single Pass Encodes

Bryan Murphy bmurphy1976 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 21:03:11 CEST 2011

Our encodes are targeted for streaming to various devices, so we've
traditionally relied very heavily on fixed bitrates and two pass.  For
one customer, I'm seriously considering switching to one-pass encodes
and using a variable bitrate.

My problem is that when I've tried one-pass encodes in the past, scene
changes in particular come out poorly.

What settings should I be focusing on to smooth out scene changes,
high motion sequences, and make single pass encodes in general look as
good as we can get them?

Our primary target is a 1280x720 1.5mbps h264 baseline encoded video.
Anything we can do to speed up this transcode without significantly
effecting video quality would be very helpful.

Thanks!
Bryan