[FFmpeg-user] How do I use showinfo?

Stefano Sabatini stefasab at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 21:48:04 CEST 2011

On date Wednesday 2011-10-26 21:58:20 -0300, Stefan Scott Alexander encoded:
> Hi -
>
> I want to get a list of all the frames in my video, along with each frame's
> timestamp and checksum.
>
> I'm just analyzing the video - I don't want to edit it at all.
> (I'm trying to figure out which frames are different from the preceding one,
> even by one pixel,
> and I figure checksum could do that.
> I assume if two frames are identical, then their checksums will also be
> identical.)
>
> I can't even figure out the syntax for the showinfo command!
>
> I tried:
>
> ffmpeg showinfo -i myvid.avi

ffmpeg -i myvid.avi -vf showinfo OUTPUT

showinfo is a *filter* which shows the properties of each filtered
frame to stdout.

But as it was noted, using checksums is not a feasible approach for
data compressed by a lossy encoder, as the same exact source frame may
be decoded with small differences depending on the position in the
sequence which will result in completely different checksums.
--
ffmpeg-user random tip #2
The -y option will force the overwrite of the output, without to prompt you