[FFmpeg-user] Apple icod

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Wed Oct 26 18:39:27 CEST 2011

Asai <asai <at> globalchangemusic.org> writes:

> Have compiled latest FFMPEG in order to be able to decode Apple ProRes.
> However,  when I try to convert to H264 from what I thought was ProRes,
> I get a 'Invalid pixel format string '-1'' message, and ffmpeg tells me
> that the video type is 'icod,' which is Apple's Intermediate Codec.  I
> though they were the same thing?

No:
http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=Icod
http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=Apple_ProRes

Apple Intermediate is not supported by FFmpeg.

There are two ProRes decoder, both are LGPL. The default one (former GPL
decoder) is faster than the fork's decoder.

Concerning the duplicated efforts: This was of course one of the "goals" of
the fork, if somebody claims the opposite, please don't trust him!