[FFmpeg-user] Apple icod

Thomas Worth dev at rarevision.com
Wed Oct 26 14:27:41 CEST 2011

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 5:20 PM, Paul G. Manno <pmanno at kinowerks.com> wrote:
> See: http://www.ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/ticket/484
>
> The ProRes decoder is GPLv2 only, so you have to configure with "--enable-gpl --enable-version2".

You mean the GPL version of the ProRes decoder. There's an LGPL version as well:

prores_gpl
prores_lgpl

The output from each is nearly identical. You can force decoding with
one or the other by specifying the decoder before the input file:

ffmpeg -vcodec prores_lgpl -i myclip.mov

Forgive me, but I have to ask. Why are there two versions of the same
decoder, each with a different license? Is one faster than the other?