[FFmpeg-user] Split video frame accurate respecting GOP's

belcampo belcampo at zonnet.nl
Tue Oct 25 19:22:04 CEST 2011

On 10/25/2011 04:59 PM, me at renecalles.de wrote:
> Thanks,
>
> i know that from ffprobe but thought it's maybe also implemented in
> ffmpeg.
>
> The critical part is to pass frame numbers to ffmpeg, as i understand
> frame accurate seeking is not possible in ffmpeg.
If you read all the posts about that link, you would discover that
someone, don't remember his name, was so kind to write a small script
which outputs the key-frame numbers. If your source is 25fps, every
frame takes .04 seconds.
So if you know that frame# 10021 is a key-frame then you can calculate
10021*.04 which wil become th value after ffmpeg -ss

> Or is there any workaround for that? Another solution could be an
> option in ffmpeg to split the video every n minutes, but without a
> script using the -ss and -t options.
AFAIK ffmpeg is not able to do that.
As mentioned earlier tsMuxeR and mkvtoolnix have that ability.
Another option, although time/space intensive is to convert the source
to an all-keyframes file first, then you can do it frame-accurate.