[FFmpeg-user] Split video frame accurate respecting GOP's

belcampo belcampo at zonnet.nl
Tue Oct 25 12:49:55 CEST 2011

On 10/25/2011 11:58 AM, Deepika wrote:
> Hi rene,
>
> Please take a look at -ss and -t options to split the file. If you
> have fixed gops at regular intervals this should solve your problem.
>
> Regards,
> Deepika
> On 10/25/2011 05:04 PM, me at renecalles.de wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> i would like to split video streams frame accurate for separate
>> encoding on different machines.
>>
>> For that in my theory i need to split those files frame accurate
>> respecting the GOP's.
>>
>> Now my question is, is there any way to do it with ffmpeg or do i
>> have do stick with libav?
>>
>> Any hint is appreciated.
Search for [issue2114] GOP-based multithreading(h264 encoding
performance boost of 78%)
I asked for this in june 2010. If your source is as mentioned above "you
have fixed gops at regular intervals" as with DVB-S mpeg2 files which
have GOPs of 12-frames it's easy. If it's h264, the HD-channels it's
more tedious. There is a solution, if you use tsMuxeR/tsMuxerGUI you can
split the source in parts, where tsMuxeR takes care of splitting at
GOP-boundaries, each part starts with an I-frame. mkvtoolnix has the
same ability.