[FFmpeg-user] Woah, can I not change frame rate with 1:1 mapping?

Thomas Worth dev at rarevision.com
Thu Oct 20 12:00:13 CEST 2011

Hi, I'm trying to specify an alternate output frame rate with
ffmpeg/avconv. I tried this:

ffmpeg -r 23.976 -i movie.mov <blah> newmovie.mov

All I get is:

Option framerate not found.

Now, if I put -r after -i:

ffmpeg -i movie.mov -r 23.976 <blah> newmovie.mov

This skips frames so the duration of the output the same as the input.
However, that's not what I want.

What I want to do is take an input file and remap each frame 1:1 to a
different rate. A practical use for this would be NTSC->PAL
conversions or taking overcranked footage (stuff shot at 60p, for
example) and creating slow-motion output at 24 or 25 fps. I am aware
that the durations would be different -- that is the expected result.
The frame counts of both input/output should be identical.

Is there no way I can do this via the ffmpeg binary? I know the API is
easily capable of this.