[FFmpeg-user] VLC will decode a video but ffmeg will not (How do I get ffmpeg from command prompt to decode)

Benjamin Frazier benjamin.frazier at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 17:03:29 CEST 2011

I've got a complicated problem (at least I think it is).  I want to use an
ffmpeg command from the terminal to transcode a video but can't figure out
why ffmeg will not allow me to do it.  When I attempt to use ffmpeg from a
terminal, I keep getting the error message of:

[quote]
Something went wrong during header parsing, I will ignore it and try to
continue anyway.
[avi @ 0x2e087c0] parser not found for codec none, packets or times may be
invalid.
[avi @ 0x2e087c0] max_analyze_duration 5000000 reached at 5000000
/quote]

Here is my ffmeg configuration:

[quote]
configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-libfaac --enable-libmp3lame
--enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libtheora
--enable-libvorbis --enable-libx264 --enable-libxvid --enable-nonfree
--enable-postproc --enable-version3 --enable-x11grab
[/quote]

I know that ffmpeg is being used in VLC to play the video because I can use
the following command at a terminal to get it to play:

[code]vlc -vvv --codec ffmpeg my_file.avi[/code]

Using the "vlc -vvv --codec ffmpeg my_file.avi" command at the terminal
shows that output to the terminal and it shows that the libavcodec is being
used with the ffmpeg module codec to decode the video:

[code]
[0xf48e40] avcodec decoder debug: libavcodec initialized (interface
0x344802)
[0xf48e40] avcodec decoder debug: trying to use direct rendering
[0xf48e40] avcodec decoder debug: ffmpeg codec (Motion JPEG Video) started
[0xf48e40] main decoder debug: using decoder module "avcodec"
/code]

How do I get ffmpeg from the command prompt to use the (Motion JPEG Video)
codec to decode the video?

Thanks,
Ben