[FFmpeg-user] web stream video conversion on the fly without downloading

Da Rock ffmpeg-user at herveybayaustralia.com.au
Wed Nov 30 10:49:38 CET 2011

On 11/30/11 17:13, steven liu wrote:
> Thanks for reply. Is it possible to do this programmatically? I am able to
> receive the video byte stream (from socket) and store it into a tempary
> memory buffer. I plan to convert the buffer content to another format. The
> question is how much bytes I need to receive for each buffer before I start
> calling FFMPEG to convert?  The problem is how to cut the received video
> byte stream to different parts for conversion. Tks.
I don't think you need to worry about any of that. FFmpeg receives from
any input (provided its media) and converts "on the fly"; in other words
it will convert as it gets the data. Programmatically shouldn't be a
problem either- many apps use ffmpeg in the background.

For instance, I'm taking input from gstreamer fdsink or udp:// and I can
split and convert (I'm not, but I have tried this) a mp2/mpeg-ts to x264
and output to file or a url in mpeg-ts format. No buffer required and
cpu usage is extremely low.

You can split the different streams encoded in the format to different
files or whatever. Check out -map options. But ffmpeg can encode *all*
video streams to a specific codec and *all* audio streams to a specific
codec, or independently to different codecs, and output to one file or
url/socket or many.

All I can suggest is to just play: you'll never know unless you try :)