[FFmpeg-user] ProRes to x264

HallMarc Websites marc at hallmarcwebsites.com
Wed Nov 16 18:27:34 CET 2011

> What I completely missed:
> QuickTime generally fails to play generic mp4 files, so I strongly believe
you
> should use mov.
> But in any case, you can substitute "mov" in my command line with "mp4"
> and the only difference in the resulting file is that it is not explicitly
marked as
> QuickTime-compatible iirc.
>
> Carl Eugen

Bull frogs! I have been playing plenty of mp4 files with Quicktime without
issue. mp4 is just the dang container anyway! Please stop muddying the list
with nonsense. The other huge difference between mp4 and mov is that I can
set the mp4 container to start playing while the file is downloading. AFAIK
this cannot be done with mov. Not to put too fine of a point on it but I
have had more issues with mov and Quicktime than I care to count!
[>]
Now, what I have found is that using the x264 codec in the mp4 container,
and I cannot speak on any other containers suited to x264 as I have not
tested them, is that it doesn't play well when you "squish" it into a
smaller viewport than it is coded for.