[FFmpeg-user] fixing videos that don't start with keyframes

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Wed Nov 16 17:44:40 CET 2011

fox <fox <at> orbitalfox.com> writes:

> On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 08:18:25 -0700
> Roger Pack <rogerdpack2 <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I think he's saying the version you were using was old and
> > unsupported, and to download a newer one.
>
> Personally Im using an SVN version.

That is definitely unsupported.

> But Ive heard stuff regarding the split of ffmpeg dev team and backings by
> distros,

Only one packager is supporting the traitors who had tried to steal FFmpeg.

> I would like to know what he means by "intentionally". I dont think he just
> meant to get the latest version.

It is very strongly recommended that you use current git head, all bugs (etc.)
are first fixed in git head (and only later in release branches), there is
nothing "stable" in the releases that brings any advantage to users.
(Packagers claim they need releases, that is why we provide them, users should
not download them.)

If you look at our bug tracker, you will find fixed bugs (and enhancements)
there. Some of the fixes were made in the fork, some bugs may never have been
reproducible with the fork. But most fixes are missing from the fork, making it
an intentionally broken version of FFmpeg that - due to insufficient manpower -
we cannot support because it contains >100 known bugs not present in FFmpeg.