[FFmpeg-user] VC-1 encoding on Linux with IPP

Jamie Tufnell diesql at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 1 15:44:25 CET 2011

Hi

I'm looking for suggestions on how to encode to WMV3 (Windows Media
Video 9) in a Linux remote server environment.

As far as I know FFmpeg won't do this out of the box (or at all?)

So here are the options as I see them so far:

1) Set up a Windows server/VM and use some Windows software. It needs
to be automated and reliable. I have no idea if this is feasible.
2) Drop BIG$$$ on something from MainConcept or whoever.
3) Try the Intel Performance Primitives libraries. They have a code
sample that encodes VC-1, which I think is basically WMV3?
4) Hope that FFmpeg/libavcodec can link against the IPP libraries and
enable VC-1 as an output format?
5) Find evidence that H264 has just as good
penetration/quality/filesize as WMV3 on all Windows systems and
devices, and ditch WMV3.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks